Light and fresh, shrimp ceviche celebrates the sweet brininess of raw seafood.
Be sure to give this dish plenty of time to marinate, allowing your shrimp to swim in a pool of citrus, onion, garlic, and jalapeño. Not only will this enrich the taste of your ceviche, but the citric acid in lemon and lime also changes the protein structure of shrimp and “cooks” it.
- 4h 20m
- 1 1/2 lb small shrimp
- 7 limes
- 3 lemons
- 3 oranges
- 1/2 jalapeno
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/4 red onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 avocados
- 1/4 c fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp. raw honey
- 2 tsp. coarse sea salt, plus more to taste
- Peel and devein shrimp; dice into 1/4-inch pieces. Juice the citrus fruit.
- Remove seeds and pith from jalapeno then dice, wearing gloves to avoid burning your skin. Dice the bell pepper; mince red onion and garlic. Chop cilantro.
- Place shrimp in a glass dish with the citrus juices, jalapeno, bell pepper, onion, and garlic, tossing to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 to 4 hours - preferably overnight - stirring occasionally.
- Before serving, Dice the avocados. Stir honey and cilantro into the ceviche. Serve topped with diced avocado and sea salt to taste.