One of the best tips when eating an AIP compliant diet is to re-think breakfast. This Thai coconut soup is filled with protein to start your day off strong. When made ahead of time, the flavors meld together into a deliciously tangy and warm dish.
Make your own homemade bone broth and you’ll have the cooked chicken ready to go as well.
Thai Coconut Soup (AIP)
- 1 inch galangal, or ginger
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 3 pt chicken stock
- 1 lb mushroom, (oyster shiitake or cremini)
- 1/2 lime, zested
- 4 limes, juiced
- 1/2 c cilantro
- 2 c cooked chicken, optional
- 1 can coconut milk
- 4 tbsp. fish sauce, plus more to taste
- Slice galangal (or ginger) into diagonal quarter inch slices. Cut the lemongrass into 3 inch pieces, and use a pestle or the bottom of a glass ball jar to smash them.
- Bring stock to a boil in a large saucepan, add galangal or ginger and lemongrass, and reduce to a simmer. Continue simmering until stock is reduced to half. Remove ginger and lemongrass.
- Meanwhile, slice the mushrooms; zest and juice lime. Chop cilantro, and shred cooked chicken.
- When the stock is reduced, add lime zest, mushrooms, and coconut milk. Continue simmering for 10-15 minutes, until mushrooms are cooked to desired consistency.
- Remove from heat. Add shredded chicken. Start seasoning by adding fish sauce and juice of half the limes. Add more fish sauce or lime to taste of either if necessary.
- Serve steaming, garnished with cilantro.