Wintertime food is generally hearty and decadent. Switch things up with a savory winter salad. The beets in this salad taste ridiculously earthy and light. And butternut squash hints at the sweet richness of holiday food. All atop a bed of fresh greens, sprinkled with flecks of prosciutto.
If you’re looking for a soup to go with your salad, try this Lemon Chicken Soup .
Savory Winter Salad
- 1 small butternut squash
- extra virgin olive oil
- coarse sea salt
- ground black pepper
- 2 medium beets
- 4 oz mixed seasonal salad greens
- 4 green onions
- 4 oz prosciutto
- 2 avocados
- 1/4 c balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3/4 c extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Peel butternut squash, remove seeds, and cut into 1 inch chunks.
- Place squash onto a baking sheet lined with silpat or parchment paper. Drizzle with some oil and season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Peel beets and cut into 1 inch chunks, place in a roasting pan with a layer of filtered water. Roast squash and beets for about 40 minutes or until both are soft when punctured with a fork. Remove from oven and cool while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Place washed salad greens in a large bowl. Mince the green onions, roll the prociutto and cut each roll into thirds. Peel and chop avocados. Add all of these ingredients to the salad greens. When the squash and beets are cooled, add them too.
- In a small jar, combine balsamic vinegar, sea salt, and olive oil. Shake to combine well. Drizzle atop salad to your taste and serve.